Sunday 15 May 2011

The Seasonal Gourmet

  
I had the great privilege to grow up on a ten acre hobby farm. Today, when I look back on those years of my youth, I realize that in every way my home was a child’s paradise.  I owe a lot of that to my mother.  She was an avid gardener and taught me everything I needed to know about gardening and conservation.  She was also a great cook.  Her policy was, “If we didn’t grow it we didn’t eat it”. And grow it we did.  What we didn’t produce the neighbors did.  We bought our meat and poultry directly from local farmers and had our own chicken coop for eggs. 

I am a first born Canadian with a Hungarian background.  I was surrounded by different ethnic groups including;   Ukrainians, Dutch, Polish, Scottish, and Germans etc. I developed a great respect for multiculturalism and all that it offers. Tasting the foods from other cultures enhances one’s own palate.     

I moved away from that area when I was nineteen to attend University, then took some time off to travel.  I discovered new foodstuff, ways to prepare it and of course eat it. I have always enjoyed cooking, shopping, and growing edibles.  I would like to share with you some of my knowledge.  I am not a chef but I am more of a seasonal gourmet, a fancy term for a foodie who likes to use produce that is currently in season.  I hope that you enjoy my recollections, recipes etc. My goal is for you to slow down and to look at your food in a different way.  Realize the health benefits and the endless possibilities of eating in a more conscious way.    My goal is to Tempt Every Palate!
     "When I couldn't write I cooked," she said, "when I couldn't cook I wrote." M.F.K. Fisher
   

No comments: